Onnoghen: CCT continues trial Monday

Onnoghen files suit against conviction, wants order forfeiting assets set aside
Onnoghen

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, will commence the trial of suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Walter Onnoghen, on Monday, February 4, 2019.

He is facing trial at the CCT over alleged non-declaration of assets.

The spokesman of CCT, Ibraheem Al-Hassan, on Thursday, stated that the trial would be continued following the Court of Appeal verdict which was in the tribunal’s favour.

CCT had suspended the trial indefinitely pending the determination of the suit by Onnoghen over the constitutionality of its action.

Said Al-Hassan:  “Following Court of Appeal ruling yesterday the trial against Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Onnoghen Nkanu Walter, on alleged non declaration of asset before Code of Conduct Tribunal is hereby fixed for Monday, 4th of February, 2019.

“The decision was reached today sequel to a correspondent from Code of Conduct Bureau, applying for the resumption of trial of the case captioned; Application for resumption of trial of the case of FRN V. Hon. Justice Onnoghen Nkanu Walter Samuel case No: CCT/ABJ/01/19, addressed to Hon. Chairman Code of Conduct Tribunal, dated 30th January, 2019, jointly signed by Musa Ibrahim Usman (Esq) and Fatima Danjuma Ali (Esq).”

On Wednesday, the three-man panel led by Justice Abdul Aboki at the Court of Appeal explained that the case against Onnoghen was on criminal charges and that it had no such right to stop the CCT from carrying out its duties.

The court added that not enough evidence had been provided to grant the stay of execution.

It therefore dismissed the motion Onnoghen filed for stay of proceeding.

Said Aboki:  “A court has inherent jurisdiction to grant stay of proceedings where it is certified that enough evidence has been given for such.”