The meeting between the Federal Government and the Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, over the controversy surrounding the new minimum wage on Friday ended without an agreement.
The meeting was at the instance of the Federal Government to avert the nationwide strike threatened by the NLC.
The union had fixed January 8, 2019 for the commencement of the strike to make the Federal Government submit the N30,000 minimum wage recommendation to the National Assembly for approval.
Speaking with journalists shortly after the meeting, NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, said it was inconclusive.
- Advertisement -
He said, however, that it would be continued on Monday.
According to him, there was need for more consultations over the issue.
On his part, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, expressed hope that the issue would be resolved.
He said progress had been made over the matter.
It would be recalled that despite the recommendation of the tripartite committee on the new minimum wage that N30,000.00 should be paid, governors of the states of the federation are insisting that they would not be able to pay.
Rather, they insisted that they could only afford N22,500. 00.
Nigerian workers have, however, disagreed, insisting that N30,000.00 should be the new minimum wage.