How bandits stormed Zamfara, killed six -Police

The police have explained how about 100 bandits stormed Gurbin Bore Village of Zurmi local government area of Zamfara State killing no fewer than six persons, including a policeman.

The bandits suspected to have invaded the village through Dumburum forest were said to have arrived the community at about 10.00 p.m. Friday night.

The police said they were, however, engaged by a combined team of counter-terrorists, comprising police Mobile Force, Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) personnel stationed in the area.

According to reports by the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Zamfara State, SP Mohammed Shehu, who confirmed the attack said three other persons were injured.

11 vehicles, including a police vehicle, three motorcycles and five kiosks were set ablaze by the bandits.

The police officers disclosed that the bandits were still being trailed so that they could be apprehended and made to face prosecution.

Zamfara has suffered severe attacks in the hands of bandits in the past few years.

Although the state and federal governments have made efforts in recent times to stem the tide, the attacks have continued.

Last month, during a town hall meeting organised by the Federal Government, Governor of Zamfara State, Abdulaziz Yari, disclosed that 2,500 people were killed while 25,000 cows were rustled by armed bandits between 2009 and 2018.

He said the activities of the bandits had been reduced with the presence of the troops deployed by the federal government.

The troops launched Operation Whirl Stroke 2 to put an end to the activities of the bandits.