The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Amb. Houssam Diab, said on Thursday that his country’s embassy had suspended issuing working visas to Nigerians seeking to work in Lebanon, particularly for domestic work.
That, he said, was sequel to the influx of some Nigerians to Lebanon to work, and complaints of maltreatment from some Nigerian domestic workers there.
The ambassador made this known when the Chairman of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa visited him in his Abuja office.
He explained that the mission suspended the issuance of the document from May 1, 2020.
According to him, the suspension followed complaints of abuse by some employers as well as the case of the video of Peace Busari, a Nigerian lady, auctioned for sale for $1000 on social media in April this year.
The video went viral.
He said the man who committed the act is not a Lebanese, but a Lebanese resident and had since been charged to court in Lebanon.
He said the suspension was to stem the tide of such development pending the time the procedure would be properly harmonized with the Ministry of Labour, in line with best practices of managed and orderly migration.
He said so far, the Lebanese government in conjunction with the Lebanese community in Nigeria had brought back 69 out of 79 Nigerians allegedly stranded back to the country.
He explained that the remaining ten Nigerians, who would be transported home soon after the Covid-19 lockdown, had some pending legal cases and would be repatriated home once they were through with their cases.
He clarified that the embassy and the Lebanese community paid over $150,000 USD to evacuate the 69 Nigerians and also paid for their 14 days quarantine.
He added that they were not in Lebanon illegally but were abused by their employers who also breached the working agreement and did not have money to bring them back.
He assured that the Lebanese government would not condone maltreatment of foreign nationals and anyone found guilty would face the necessary penalty.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa called on the ambassador to ensure that whatever cases the ten Nigerians left behind were being charged with, should be expeditiously dealt with so that they could return home.
She said the commission would work with the Ministry of Labour to have an effective and efficiently managed migration working scheme where verification and certification must be provided between agents, employers and prospective employees that would protect the rights of workers in any country.
The chairman commended the ambassador for his assistance especially in evacuating 69 Nigerians and the safe release of the Nigerian lady who was advertised for sale on social media.
Corroborating the ambassadors disclosure about the lady who was put up for sale and safely rescued by the Nigerian mission in Lebanon, Dabiri-Erewa confirmed that the rescued lady had secured another job in Lebanon and was not ready to return home as at now.
Highlight of the meeting include a resolution by both the Lebanese ambassador and the chairman, NiDCOM, to work for an effective collaboration between the Lebanese Diaspora and the Nigerian Diaspora.