The Federal Capital Territory Police Command, Abuja, has begun a probe into allegations of rape against some of its officers involved in a raid of Caramelo.
Caramelo is a popular strip club in Abuja raided in April by a joint task force made up of the Department of Development control of Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), the Abuja Environment Protection Board (AEPB), and the Social Development Secretariat.
Some police officers were said to have raped some of the suspected sex workers arrested.
Following the allegation, the police in a statement by the spokesman of the FCT command, Gajere Tanimu, on Friday, said a probe panel had been set up to investigate the allegation against its men.
It said it had invited some persons who could assist in knowing the truth about the case.
The command said it had zero tolerance for unprofessional conducts and would deal severely with anyone found guilty.
The statement reads: “The attention of FCT police command has been drawn to serious allegations of rape against some of its members on social, print and electronic media.
“This was said to have occurred on 27th April, 2019 when some suspected commercial sex workers were raided by the FCTA Joint Task Team comprising of the Department of Development Control, Abuja Environment Protection Board (AEPB), and the Social Development Secretariat at Caramelo night club, Utako, and also while they were kept at Utako Division.
“The Command as a responsible corporate citizen, views the allegations seriously. Consequently, a high powered team was constituted to investigate the veracity of the allegation.
“In this regard invitations were sent out to relevant individuals that may assist in getting to the root of the matter.
“The command wishes to assure members of the public of its zero tolerance for unprofessional disregard to human rights and stiff punishments will be meted out to erring officers.”