Ad image

Police confirm abduction of worshipers in Niger

Agency Report
Agency Report
Police

The Police Command in Niger has confirmed the abduction of worshipers at a mosque in Dekara District in Borgu local government area of the state.

The command’s spokesperson, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said on Saturday that the incident happened at about 2 p.m. on Friday, August 21,  when the victims were observing Jumaat prayer.

He said the exact number of those kidnapped was yet to be ascertained.

According to him, the terrorists first attacked Gidan-Zana and Kpenya villages before moving to the mosque, where unspecified number of worshipers were kidnapped.

He said no life was lost, adding that joint security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Abiodun explained that “on 21/8/2026 at about 4 p.m., report received indicated that on same date at about 2 p.m., suspected terrorists invaded Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village via Dekara District Borgu, and Kpenya Mosque and abducted unspecified number of persons during prayers, while others escaped into the nearby forest.

“However, the developing report indicated that no life was lost, while joint security detachment had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

“Further development will be made public,” he said.

Source: NAN

READ ALSO: 

APC sets up presidential campaign council with Abdulaziz Yari as DG

Troops rescue 59 kidnap victims, neutralise scores of terrorists

INTIMATE AFFAIR: Before you cross the road into polygamy

Ogun Central: Iyabo Obasanjo appoints 370 ward coordinators

FG, Borno intensify efforts to rescue 44 pupils

Naira closes week with N1.13 gain at official market

Osun poll: Oyebamiji meets Tinubu, sues for peace

Real reasons war against terrorism is prolonged -Expert

Kumuyi re-appoints Ope-Davies into Anchor varsity council

TAGGED: ,
Share This Article