Ad image

PDP protests Onnoghen’s suspension, suspends campaign

Ismaila Sanni
Ismaila Sanni
Secondus

The leading opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has announced its decision stop its presidential campaign for three days, in protest of the suspension of Walter Onnoghen as the Chief Justice of Nigeria.

The campaign train was scheduled to reach Benue State on Saturday before the announcement of the decision.

In a statement issued by its National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, the party declared that democracy had been attacked in view of the action of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The basis for this election is the democracy itself. When democracy comes under this kind of virulent attack, then the election itself becomes superfluous,” Secondus said.

Onnoghen was suspended by the president on Friday as CJN and replaced by Justice Tanko Mohammed by the president.

It would be recalled that Onnoghen has a case before the Code of Conduct Tribunal over alleged non-declaration of assets.

Speaking against the decision of the president, Secondus said: “Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Campaign Council has suspended its presidential campaign in protest of President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to suspend the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.

“The PDP Campaign Council further predicated the suspension of its campaign activities in solidarity with Nigerians in our collective rejection of the assault against our democratic order.

“The basis for this election is the democracy itself. When democracy comes under this kind of virulent attack, then the election itself becomes superfluous.”

The party’s chairman stated further: “In the first instance, we are suspending our campaign for 72 hours. It is our hope that President Buhari will listen to the voice of all lovers of democracy the world over and restore democracy in Nigeria immediately and without qualifications. At the moment, the President has effectively suspended the constitution under whose basis the elections are being contested.

“The action of President Buhari represents a constitutional breach and a direct attack on our democracy. This must never be allowed to stand, as there is no way by which democracy can survive under these autocratic tendencies.

“We call on all well meaning Nigerians to rise in defence of democracy and save our nation from this imminent slide into tyranny.”

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *