The Nigerian government has waded into the issue of a Nigerian, Mr. Okufolajimi Abegunde, who has been detained in the United States since June 25, 2018.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and the Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, made this known in a statement issued by her media aide, Abdur-Rahman Balogun.
According to her, the Nigerian Consulate in Atlanta had written a letter to the West Tennessee Detention Facility in Mason, Tennessee (where he is detained) requesting consular access.
She said the consulate was still awaiting response for access to Mr Abegunde through the US Department of State in Washington.
She said once the access was given, he would be visited.
She gave an insight into the case.
According to her, Abegunde was said to have defrauded some US companies and individuals to the tune of $15 million.
Abegunde was said to have however claimed innocence, saying his address was used by a friend, Mr Ayodeji Ojo, who was said to have apparently been previously charged with conspiracy to commit fraud and is currently at large.
Dabiri-Erewa said the case of Abegunde underscored the need “for our citizens to be careful in how they deal with people, even acquaintances, especially when it comes to financial matters.”