Ad image

Ondo guber: We’ll ensure next governor is determined by voters -INEC

David Adenekan
David Adenekan
Yakubu

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has declared that it is committed to ensuring that whoever becomes the next governor of Ondo State is determined by voters.

The declaration was made on Monday by INEC chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, who spoke during his commission’s stakeholders’ sensitisation meeting in Akure, Ondo State capital.

The stakeholders meeting was held ahead of October 10, 2020 Ondo State gubernatorial election.

According to the INEC boss, the commission was committed to a free, fair and transparent conduct of the election.

He said all the election personnel had been sensitised on the need to be professional and non-partisan in the performance of their duties.

His words: “Our commitment is to ensure that the choice of who becomes the next governor of Ondo State entirely rests with the voters.

“The commission will not take any action either to the advantage or disadvantage of any political party or candidate.”

He disclosed that additional 104 registration area technical support staff had been engaged to respond rapidly to issues of card readers on the election day.

Speaking at the occasion too, the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu, said a total of 33,783 police personnel comprising of 30,933 conventional police and 2,850 special police units would be deployed for election duties, including air surveillance, in the state.

Adamu, who called on political parties not to consider the election as a do-or-die affair, warned that the police and other security agencies would deal with anyone attempting to disrupt the peace in any part of the state.

The police chief gave the assurance that the agencies would be neutral during the election.

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *