Ad image

BREAKING: Ezekwesili quits presidential race, states reasons

Ismaila Sanni
Ismaila Sanni
Ezekwesili

The presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, ACPN, Oby Ezekwesili, has quit the race.

The decision was announced on Thursday by her spokesman, Ozioma Ubabukoh.

Ezekwesili is a former Minister of Education and co-founder of the ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ movement.

In a statement issued, Ezekwesili said her decision was to join a coalition formed to defeat the All Progressives Congress and the People’s Democratic Party in the February 16, 2019 election.

The decision, she said followed extensive consultations with Nigerians both at home and abroad.

The statement reads in part: “This decision followed extensive consultations with leaders from various walks of life across the country over the past few days. I deem it necessary for me to focus on helping to build a veritable coalition to ensure a viable alternative to the #APCPDP in the forthcoming elections.

“It is my ardent belief that this broad coalition for a viable alternative has now become more than ever before, an urgent mission for and on behalf of Nigerian citizens. I have therefore chosen to lead the way in demonstrating the much needed patriotic sacrifice for our national revival and redirection.

“I wish to state that over the past three months, I have been in private, but extended talks with other candidates to birth a coalition that would allow Nigerians to exercise their choice without feeling helplessly encumbered by the evil twins of #APCPDP.

“While the deliberations continued, I never hesitated for a moment in my willingness and determination to sacrifice my candidacy in order to facilitate the emergence of the envisaged strong and viable alternative that Nigerians could identify with in our collective search for a new beginning.

“My commitment to this promising political recalibration has been consistent and in consonance with my agreement, at the request of candidates under the Presidential Aspirants Coming Together (PACT) arrangement in 2018, when I consented to supervise the internal selection process as an outside observer passionate about building an alternative force.”

She said although her party, the ACPN, had resisted, she had decided that it was necessary to show by action and example her determination by stepping down her candidacy so as to focus squarely on building the coalition to a logical conclusion.

“We have no right to allow citizens give in to despair. We will #Fight4Naija together and prove to all that the mess, which the political class has now become, should not be allowed to destroy our spirits and nation. We are also determined to ensure that the message keeps resonating that our beloved country deserves better, and that we will get the best that we deserve,” she said.

She added: “From last year, when I joined the presidential race, I made it clear to Nigerians that the country has always had a 20-year cycle of change – 1959, 1979, and 1999. As such, 2019 begins another 20-year cycle, and together with all Nigerians of good will, I stand ready to play my part to ensure that we do not miss this golden opportunity to sing a new song.

“There is no more time to waste. Let’s get to work!”

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *