The Nigerian Army has reversed itself over the suspension placed on the activities of UNICEF in the North East.
The Nigerian Army had banned UNICEF which it accused of frustrating the fight against insurgency.
However, in a statement issued on Friday, the Army said well-meaning Nigerians had intervened, hence its change of mind.
The decision is contained in the statement signed by the Deputy Director, Public Relations, Nigerian Army, Onyema Nwachukwu.
The Army said it had met with officials of UNICEF and the issues raised had been resolved.
The statement reads: “Sequel to intervention by well meaning and concerned Nigerians over the recent suspension of UNICEF operations in the North East theatre of operations, the Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE convened and held an emergency meeting with representatives of UNICEF this evening.
“During the meeting, the Theatre Command admonished the representatives of the organisation to desist from activities inimical to Nigeria’s national security and capable of undermining ongoing fight against terrorism and insurgency. The Command also urged UNICEF representatives to ensure they share information with relevant authorities whenever induction or training of new staff is being conducted in the theatre.
“Consequently, after extensive deliberations on the need to seek modalities to work harmoniously with the security agencies in the theatre of operation, the Theatre Command has henceforth lifted the three months suspension earlier imposed on UNICEF activities in North Eastern Nigeria.”