Boko Haram: Reps probe killing of soldiers in Metele attack

Ismaila Sanni
Ismaila Sanni
Defection: Court sacks Yakubu Dogara ex-House of Reps Speaker
Yakubu Dogara

The House of Representatives on Tuesday resolved to probe the Boko Haram attack on Metele Village in Guzamala local government in Borno State which left no fewer than 118 soldiers dead.

The Commanding Officer of the battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Ibrahim Sakaba, was also killed in the attack while no fewer than 150 other soldiers were said to be missing.

Following a motion to that effect, the legislators set up an ad-hoc committee to probe the attack with the aim of uncovering the lapses that led to the killing of the soldiers.

Leading the debate in the motion which he sponsored,  the Deputy Minority Leader of the House, Chukwuka Onyema, said although the initial figure was put at 44, it had been discovered to be far more than that.

- Advertisement -

The legislators took turn to contribute to the debate with many condemning the attack.

In his contribution, a member, Edward Pwajok from Plateau State and member of the All Progressives Congress, APC, said service chiefs should be fired.

“Whatever pressure you put on this service chiefs, I do not think that anything good can come out of them.

“Why can they not be changed? Is there a pact between them and the Commander-in-Chief? Mr Speaker, this is intolerable,” he said.

Another legislator, Rimamnde Kwewum, who is the chairman of the House Committee on Army, said:  “There is a need for the security agencies to account for the $1billion that they took.

“There is a need for us to continuously know how much or how the resources they have been given are being applied.”

In setting up the ad-hoc committee, the House gave it the power to probe into the circumstances that led to the killing of the soldiers.

The committee was also directed to probe how the money meant for the prosecution of the war against insurgency was spent.

The House called on the Nigerian Army to release the names of the soldiers killed in the attack.

The committee was, however, not given a deadline for the completion of its work.

Share this Article