President Muhammadu Buhari has told the football authorities in Nigeria what to do about the Super Eagles ahead of the forthcoming World Cup competition.
Buhari gave the advice against the background of the loss of the Super Eagles to Tunisia in the ongoing African Cup of Nations, AFCON, in Cameroon on Sunday.
He advised that the football authorities should undertake a critical assessment on the Eagles’ performance at the Cup of Nations tournament, just as he encouraged the general public to send their suggestions to the Nigeria Football Federation so that it would reflect and plan well for a better outing in the forthcoming World Cup competition.
The president said that although the team did not live up to expectations in AFCON, both officials and players deserved commendation for the tough fight they put up.
“They gave everyone the confidence that they were up to it, and I am sure it was something they could have achieved. Nonetheless, we should not write them off,” said the president.
Buhari urged Nigerians to encourage the players to do better next time, especially in view of the World Cup qualification matches that had been lined up for them.