Ad image

ASP in custody over alleged social media threat to shoot

Agency Report
Agency Report
The arrested police officer

The Anambra Police Command has said that an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP, (name withheld) is under its custody over alleged social media threat to shoot any member of the public that will record him on duty.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, disclosed this in a statement issued in Awka and made available to newsmen on Friday.

The statement reads in part: “The police wish to address the public on a video currently circulating on social media, in which a police officer was seen threatening violence and engaging in conduct unbecoming of a member of the Nigerian Police.

“Following a review of the video, the command identified and arrested the officer involved.

“The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police serving in the command.”

Ikenga added that in line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigerian Police, internal disciplinary proceedings have been activated against the officer.

He added that, as part of the ongoing investigation, the officer had been subjected to drug test to aid the command in establishing all the surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process.

He stated that the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, condemned the conduct allegedly displayed by the officer in the video.

The police spokesman added that Orutugu reiterated that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that would not condone misconduct, capable of undermining public trust and confidence.

The command assured the public that the outcome of the disciplinary action would be made open.

Ikenga warned that any officer found culpable for misconduct would be made to face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the extant laws and police regulations.

The command, therefore, advised its operatives to be professional, emotionally balanced and respectful in the discharge of their lawful duties, especially in an era, where actions and conducts are subject to public scrutiny.

The embattled officer was reacting to the recent court judgment that validates the right of any Nigerian to record and/or video police officers and men discharging their lawful duties.

Source: NAN

READ ALSO:

Youth Party rejects suit against INEC, says action not authorized

Police arrest three suspects, recover suspected stolen vehicles

JAMB: How Professor Segun Aina’s age can be an advantage

Sanwo-Olu congratulates Hamzat on emergence as APC candidate

UN agencies step up Ebola response in eastern DR Congo

Ogun guber: Adeola wins APC ticket

Tinubu commends NDLEA on landmark success

Court voids INEC timetable for conduct of 2027 polls

Tinubu has plan to change Nigeria’s name, abolish Sharia law in the north -Presidency

Oyo bandits attacks: Slain Teacher Adegboye for burial Friday

ASUU slams FG over breach of 2025 pact, threatens strike

Five years on: Remembering Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru

Lagos APC guber primary: Sanwo-Olu praises members for peaceful exercise

Marwa to Nigerians: Counter toxic culture glamorising drug abuse

JAMB releases 279 withheld UTME results

Share This Article