Rivers State governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has declared that there is credible information that some mercenaries and thugs have been hired from outside, in the guise of protest, to destroy valuable infrastructure assets in the state.
The governor maintained that this is in spite of the fact that Rivers residents had already resolved not to participate in the planned 10 days of nationwide protest scheduled to begin on August 1.
Governor Fubara made the revelation when he addressed representatives of Civil Society Organisations, CSOs, stakeholders of National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, Rivers State ethnic and youth groups, and Port Harcourt Motor Spare Parts Dealers Union, Ikoku Branch, among others at the Banquet Hall of Government House in Port Harcourt on Wednesday.
The governor insisted that several public and clandestine activities of the self-styled detractors over the last months were clear indications that Rivers State does have unrepentant enemies who will do everything possible within their means to destabilize the state.
Governor Fubara said: “You are already aware of the political situation of our state where people are looking for every avenue to destabilise this state. We don’t need to give them that opportunity to carry out that act.
“And that is the reason why I, representing the government, and the service commanders, have always been in touch with you all, pleading that we should shelve this protest. And even if you have to do it, we should do it in a way and manner that it will not get out of control.
“I have information that you don’t have. I am aware of the people that are being hired to come into this state to cause mayhem. If anything happens here, we are going to be the greatest losers. Our property will be destroyed. Our economy will be destroyed. And when they finish, they will go back to their states.
“Look at what has happened in Kenya. It will take them another 20 years to rebuild those things that are being destroyed. In Rivers State, we are not that financially buoyant to now start retrogressing where we have already passed. Instead of maintaining and increasing what we have, we will be thinking of rebuilding, if destroyed. Let us not allow it happen.”
Governor Fubara acknowledged the prevailing economic hardship that Nigerians were facing but quickly added that the federal government, under President Bola Tinubu, was taking believable actions that were geared towards addressing the current hardship and securing a better future for the people.
The governor urged the activists to look at all the angles to the reasons proferred by the organisers of the planned protest so that they did not just embrace it to please persons who were aggrieved because the system did not favour them.
Governor Fubara pointed to steps administration had taken to meet the expectations and address challenges of Rivers residents while also supporting what the federal government was doing.
Briefing newsmen on the decision taken after the security council meeting with service commanders at Government House in Port Harcourt, Governor Fubara said they are aware of the planned 10-day protest beginning from August 1, saying that everything was being done to contain it.