The Nigeria Police Force has declared wanted, a British national, Andrew Wynne, who is also known as Andrew Povich or Drew Povey, wanted over alleged plot to overthrow the government of President Bola Tinubu.
One of his local collaborators, one Lucky Ehis Obiyan, has also been declared wanted while nine others have been arrested.
During a press briefing he addressed in Abuja on Monday, the Force Public Relations Officer, FPRO, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said the police had launched a comprehensive investigation into the activities of the “foreign national and subversive elements plotting to undermine the democratically elected government in Nigeria through unconstitutional regime change and orchestrating violence across the country.”
The police spokesman said following extensive intelligence gathering and collaboration with other security agencies, nine suspects had been apprehended.
The suspects, he explained received substantial financial backing from foreign sources to destabilize the country.
“Preliminary findings suggest they orchestrated and funded violent protests, disseminated false information, and engaged in other unlawful activities to create anarchy and justify their illegal plot to overthrow the democratically elected government.
“Investigations have identified a foreign mercenary, Andrew Wynne (also known as Andrew Povich or Drew Povey), a British national, who built a network of sleeper cells to topple the government and plunge the nation into chaos. He rented a space at Labour House, Abuja, for an ‘Iva Valley Bookshop’ and established ‘STARS of Nations Schools’ as a cover for his subversive activities,” Adejobi said.
He asserted that documentary evidence and confessions revealed that Andrew Wynne issued directives, monitored progress, provided finance and operational guidance to achieve unconstitutional regime change in Nigeria.
He was also accused of mobilizing and deploying several billions of naira to his Nigerian collaborators, urging them to mobilize the public to violently storm police facilities and military barracks, anticipating a bloodbath that will instigate international condemnation of the Nigerian government.
READ ALSO: NAF special forces eliminate notorious terrorist kingpin, others
“These acts are in clear violation of the Terrorism (Prevention) Act 2011 and other relevant laws,” the police spokesman stated.
He said since the commencement of investigations, Andrew Wynne had fled the country.
“He and one of his local coordinators, one Lucky Ehis Obiyan have accordingly been declared wanted and global hunting for them has commenced in connection with this investigation,” he said.
He added that the nine other suspects already apprehended had been arraigned before a competent court of law today, Monday, September 2, 2024, for Criminal Conspiracy, Terrorism Financing, Treasonable Felony, Subversion, and Cybercrime.
He said the acts were in clear violation of the Terrorism (Prevention) Act 2011 and other relevant laws.
The police spokesman said the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, while condemning the activities of the group, had since activated the INTERPOL tools and other global policing networks to support ongoing domestic investigations aimed at locating and apprehending the suspects at large.
The IGP, he said, assured the general public that the Force would leave no stone unturned in dealing with, and bringing to deserved justice, any individual or group threatening our national security and peace or promoting any movement with the motive of truncating our democratic government through unconstitutional means.
He stated that the police force recognized and remained committed to protecting citizens’ constitutionally guaranteed fundamental and democratic rights to peaceful assembly and free expression.
This is as he however advised citizens to be wary of subversive elements who weaponized and commercialized protests for personal financial and ideological benefits.
He declared that contrary to disinformation, the invitation extended to certain individuals within the NLC leadership had nothing to do with rights advocacy and activities of the union leadership but aimed at clearing the relationship of the individuals and Andrew Wynne who in addition to plotting unconstitutional regime change was also financing terrorism in Nigeria.
He explained that following the interaction between the police investigation team and the NLC president, there had been a clearer understanding of the focus of the ongoing police investigation and the depth of Andrew Wynne’s subversive network and activities.
“No nation will tolerate attempts by foreign elements to interfere in its internal affairs, threaten national security and organize and fund local elements to instigate uprisings aimed at destabilizing the country and engendering violent and unconstitutional regime change.
“The Inspector-General of Police appeals for cooperation and support of all law abiding citizens in the ongoing investigation. He assures any one with information leading to the arrest of any of the suspects declared wanted will be appreciated and rewarded handsomely,” Adejobi declared.