The Defence Headquarters, DHQ, has dismissed claims of the existence of a terrorist base in the South-West, assuring Nigerians that ongoing operations are targeted at rescuing abducted victims and neutralising criminal elements.
The Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, made the clarification in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.
Onoja said the Chief of Defence Staff, CDS, Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, extended condolences to the government and people of Oyo State as well as families of victims affected by the recent attack on some schools in Oriire local government area.
He described the abduction of innocent children and staff as reprehensible, assuring that the Armed Forces were deploying all necessary resources to ensure their safe and unconditional rescue.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” he said.
Onoja urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and continue to support security agencies with credible information.
He said the military had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park, neutralising criminal elements operating within the area.
According to him, current intelligence does not support claims of any established or structured terrorist base in the South-West region.
“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region.
“The Armed Forces caution against narratives capable of creating unnecessary panic or emboldening criminal elements,” he said.
The defence spokesman disclosed that troops had already made contact with the perpetrators and were sustaining pursuit operations across forest corridors.
He added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes were ongoing to flush out criminal elements and restore normalcy.
He emphasised that community cooperation remained critical, noting that human intelligence from residents would aid ongoing rescue efforts.
“The Armed Forces will not relent until all abducted victims are rescued and those responsible are brought to justice,” he added.
Source: NAN
READ ALSO:
Illicit affair: Hisbah arrests man hiding in ‘Ghana Must-Go’ bag
Equities open week bearish, shed N81bn
Terrorism: Troops apprehend 16 suspects, recover arms
Ebola outbreak: UN urges international community to scale up support for DRC
Police arrest suspected kidnapper over Katsina village attack
Court adjourns for judgment as Jonathan, Fagbemi pray court to dismiss eligibility suit
Service quality assurance, customers and sales growth
Tinubu’s ongoing reforms will lead to prosperity tomorrow -Yilwatda
Oyo kidnapping: Tinubu assures on rescue of victims
We’re ready to engage kidnappers for safe release of the abducted —Makinde














