The Lagos State government, on Wednesday, restated that there is no going back on the enforcement of the law and restoration of all Right Of Ways of all drainage channels across the state.
The Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, reiterated the commitment when he, alongside top government officials, visited Isheri/ Aiyetoro / Ologe Primary Channel at Anuoluwapo / Oke – Odan Street Ishashi, Ojo Town; Alaba Rago Primary Channel (System 40B); Alaba International Market Primary channel (System 40), Ojo Local Government Area, saying the government was determined to rescue the environment from all sorts of infractions that had altered the landscape.
The commissioner, accompanied by the Special Adviser Environment, Engr. Olakunle Rotimi-Akodu; Permanent Secretary, Office of Drainage Services, Engr. Mahamood Adegbite, heads of agencies and some directors noted that the government had awarded contract on restoration project in the axis in order to accomplish the task of making Lagos flood free.
“The governor has awarded contract for the restoration of some critical projects on this axis around Ishashi Oke-Odan, where we have witnessed people purposely building on the channel and they have been served notices so we have to start enforcement along with the contractor who is ready to move to site,” he said.
Wahab explained that all concerned had been served contravention notices which had elapsed and as such enforcement of separation of contravention would be served today (Thursday).
He said the Law would take its full course as it was observed that some people along the System 40 drainage Channel in Ojo local government area had built on the canal path and narrowed the primary channel which had resulted in flooding incidents in the axis.
READ ALSO: Tinubu congratulates badminton player, Bolaji, on Paralympics feat
He said government would not back down on the enforcement and would ensure that seven metres drainage setback on all drainage channels were restored, stressing that 15 metres drainage setback was the standard right of way to be restored at Alaba International Market outfall.
He added that the House of Assembly member representing the area, Hon. Olusegun Ege, who was also present on the tour advocated less than 10 metres to be observed.
“This is just to let people know we are not dropping the ball and the weather has been very favorable, so we have no excuse than to just move to site, clean up the drains and restore the right of way and then take ownership of the public infrastructure; the development of any city is a deliberate plan; it is not magical, things will not happen unless the plan is enforced,” he said.
He maintained that the ministry had engaged in series of sensitization and advocacy but that it would not stop enforcement processes where necessary, adding that where there is a law in place, there is always provision for enforcement.
Wahab advised developers and home owners in other part of Lagos to ensure that they did not encroach on public infrastructure such as drainage collector or channel be it primary or secondary and think that government would not come for them some day.
The Special Adviser on Environment, Engr. Olakunle Rotimi-Akodu, said it was regrettable that the unwholesome practices of some business owners/developers who were in the habit of converting the right of way into land and fully building on it had exposed other property owners to dangers of loss of properties.
He charged all residents to support the government efforts in making Lagos a safe, clean, flood free and sustainable one.
In his response, the President General Alaba International Market, Chief Nnamdi Amajioyi, said the executive of the market had shown state officials the challenged areas, adding that they would cooperate to find lasting solutions.
“We have challenges whenever it rained. I believe that if we go by what the ministry said, the problem of flood will be a thing of the past,” he said.