Ad image

Kogi: Army confirms rescue of 21 passengers abducted by bandits

Agency Report
Agency Report
Soldiers

Troops of 12 Brigade Nigerian Army, in collaboration with other hybrid forces, on Thursday rescued 21 passengers abducted by bandits along highways in Kogi.

The 12 Brigade’s spokesperson, Lt. Hassan Abdullahi, confirmed the rescue on Saturday in Lokoja.

Abdullahi said the passengers were abducted on Thursday along the Kabba-Obajana Road axis, where two security personnel lost their lives during the rescue operation.

He said that rescue efforts had continued toward locating any remaining abductees and apprehending the perpetrators.

“Yes, it’s true. The incident happened on Thursday, and the troops are still combining the forest to apprehend the perpetrators,” Abdullahi said.

Sources had earlier reported that about 100 bandits targeted a convoy of six vehicles travelling between southern and northern Nigeria.

The source said that the attacks, which occurred around 2:00 p.m. affected a Toyota Siena (YAB 968 AX), from Osogbo to Kaduna, a Toyota Hiace (7BGT‑78LG) from Owo to Abuja.

It also added that a Hiace (GKP 178 XA) from Abuja to Ekiti, a Toyota Carina (JMU 648 AA) from Lokoja to Kabba, a Dangote truck hauling 900 bags of cement, and a J5 bus (FTA 313 XV) carrying pepper from Kano to Lagos, were also involved in the attacks.

The source said a joint rescue operation by the 12 Brigade Nigerian Army, Quick Response Units, QRU, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, local vigilante, and hunters engaged the bandits in a gun duel, securing the release of 21 passengers, including men, women, and infants.

“Rescued individuals include: Moses Oladimeji, Adele Jacob, Obed Onche, Babayemi and Funmilayo Ajayi, Samuel Olawoyin, Samuel Job, Jemima and Nanko Joseph, and Enenche Paulina.

“Also rescued were Bright, Rachael and Deborah Enenche (9 days old), Bukola and Toyin Clement, Glory and Faith Clement, Peter Olawale, and the drivers of the Dangote truck and J5 bus.

“Tragically, one soldier from Oshokoshoko sector and one vigilante from Odoape were killed,” the source said.

Troops of the 12 Brigade had in a coordinated operation on Tuesday, foiled an ambush by bandits, killed one bandit and rescued a kidnap victim along Kabba-Obajana Road.

The communities were urged to remain on high alert amid rising bandit activity in Kogi State.

Source: NAN

READ ALSO: 

Resident doctors suspend strike, issue fresh 4-week deadline

Tinubu nominates Omokri, Fani-Kayode, 30 others as ambassadors

Nigeria’s rails rising from six decades of decay -Opeifa MD NRC

Troops repel terrorists in fierce Chibok battle, sustain zero casualty

Six confirmed dead in Awka–Onitsha Expressway crash

Guinea-Bissau coup: Why I returned in Ivorian aircraft -Jonathan

INTIMATE AFFAIRS: My wife can’t wear push-up bra

37 kidnap victims regain freedom in Katsina

Shettima to lead eminent guests to IPI Nigeria’s 2025 conference

New tax law: Tinubu sets up Tegbe-led implementation committee

A’Court strikes out Kanu’s rights breach case against DSS, AGF

Share This Article