Former President Goodluck Jonathan has thanked Nigerians and regional leaders for their show of love and concern during the Guinea-Bissau political upheaval while he was there observing the election.
Jonathan spoke to newsmen on Friday in Abuja after returning from Guinea-Bissau where he was temporarily trapped in the country by orchestrated military coup announced by the sitting President, Umaro Mbalo.
“You know, since I left office, I have always been scared talking to the media. But in this particular case, I decided to speak to the media.
“First and foremost, to thank Nigerians for the show of empathy, the encouragement.
“Because while we were in Bissau, and this so-called coup happened, the information we got was that the whole country was agitated, young and old, irrespective of religious divides or political divides.
“I sincerely appreciate Nigerians, and I want them to hear directly from my mouth to appreciate their concern,” he said.
The former president also commended the interventions of President Bola Tinubu and his Ivorian counterpart, Alassane Ouattara, for his safe return to Nigeria.
He also clarified why he was brought back to the country by Ivorian airline.
“Secondly, to thank my president, President Tinubu, and the Ivorian President.
“Both presidents were to send aircrafts to lift us, but somehow you know Côte d’Ivoire, is closer to Guinea-Bissau.
“There’s always some relationship among the Francophones countries.
“They were able to penetrate their system to get a landing permit first before Nigeria could do that.
“So, the Ivorian aircraft was already on their way to pick us. So when we learned about the Nigerian aircraft, about leaving, we asked them not to bother.
“That is why you see the picture that I was brought by an Ivorian aircraft.
“So we thank the two presidents, President Quatarra, President Tinubu, and indeed thank Nigerians, young and old, for that,” Jonathan said.
The recent political instability in Guinea-Bissau, which left former President Jonathan temporarily stranded in the country, erupted just days after the West African nation held closely contested presidential and legislative elections on November 23.
Jonathan was in Bissau leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission to monitor the polls, which were initially reported to be peaceful and well-conducted.
The crisis began as the National Electoral Commission was preparing to announce the official results of the vote, expected to be a tight race between the incumbent, President Umaro Mbalo, and the main opposition candidate, Fernando Dias.
The turmoil escalated on November 26, when reports of heavy gunfire near the presidential palace and the National Electoral Commission headquarters surfaced in the capital, Bissau.
Shortly afterward, President Mbalo himself told various international news outlets that he had been deposed and arrested in a coup d’état, though he claimed that no force had been used against him.
Hours later, military officers calling themselves the “High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order” appeared on state TV, announcing they had seized control and suspended all political institutions.
Amid the chaos, the safety of former President Jonathan and his delegation became a matter of national and regional concern.
Jonathan and his team returned safely to Nigeria on Thursday.
Source: NAN
READ ALSO:
37 kidnap victims regain freedom in Katsina
Shettima to lead eminent guests to IPI Nigeria’s 2025 conference
New tax law: Tinubu sets up Tegbe-led implementation committee
A’Court strikes out Kanu’s rights breach case against DSS, AGF
Troops kill dozens of terrorists, nab 57 suspects, rescue 45 victims
The barracks, the Twitter mob and digital dissent: Deconstructing Nigeria’s viral standoff
FirstBank introduces Vybe Hub to elevate customer experiences for DecemberIssaVybe
Nigerian Navy promotes 127 senior officers
WEATHER FORECAST: NiMet forecasts sunshine, dust haze












