Ad image

Explosion: Pi-CNG tasks motorists on accredited conversion centres

Agency Report
Agency Report
CNG car

The Presidential Compressed Natural Gas Initiative, Pi-CNG, has tasked motorists and the public to use only accredited CNG conversion centres to ensure their safety.

The Programme Director and Chief Executive, Mr Michael Oluwagbemi, made the call in a statement on Friday in view of the CNG explosion on Thursday at NIPCO CNG Station, Ikpoba Hill, Benin City.

Oluwagbemi expressed his heartfelt sympathy to the victims of the explosion.

He clarified that the incident was caused by an illegally modified CNG vehicle.

“It was revealed that a thorough examination of the cylinder involved in the incident showed it had been welded, modified, and was not approved for use with CNG.

READ ALSO: Frills of festival of fervors for Oloyede at 70, By Tunde Akanni

“The police, regulatory authorities, and the management of NIPCO are conducting a detailed investigation into the incident, with Pi-CNG coordinating closely with them,” he said.

Oluwagbemi said the incident underscored the importance of the upcoming Nigeria Gas Vehicle Monitoring System, a joint effort by Pi-CNG and relevant partners.

He listed the partners to include the Standards Organisation of Nigeria, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, the National Automotive Design and Development Council and the Federal Road Safety Corps.

He said the monitoring system aimed at identifying and addressing bad actors in the ecosystem to ensure that the safer, cheaper, cleaner, and more reliable fuel source remains risk-free for everyone.

Source: NAN

TAGGED: ,
Share This Article