Ad image

Ebonyi: Four killed in land dispute between two communities

Agency Report
Agency Report
Gunmen

Four persons have been killed in a renewed boundary dispute involving two communities in Ivo local government area of Ebonyi.

The land dispute is between Ogwor and Umuobor villages, who have been fighting over a land called, “Elueke” in the area.

Ebonyi government had earlier in January declared the disputed land a “buffer zone” and ordered both villages to steer clear of the disputed land.

Chinasa Okorie, the coordinator of Akaeze Development Centre, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Thursday in Abakaliki, describing the killing as “wicked.”

“Among the four persons killed, three were said to be part of a contingent that entered the disputed land to harvest yams on Wednesday while a woman was killed on Monday,” he said.

READ ALSO: CBN retains all monetary policy parameters in first MPC meeting for 2025

Okorie pleaded with the communities to remain peaceful and avoid any act capable of escalating the dispute.

“The government has declared it a buffer zone, so nobody is allowed to enter the land,” the coordinator said.

SP Joshua Ukandu, the spokesman of the police command in the state, however, said the command was only aware of the killing of a woman on February 17.

“We know about the incident involving the killing of a woman on February 17.

“That is the one we have the information. The command is investigating the matter.

“Officers and men have been deployed to the area,” Ukandu said.

Source: NAN

Share This Article